Posts Tagged ‘politics’
Tags: Bitcoin, cartoon, corporations, Koch brothers, lobbyists, Obamacare, oil, politics, Senate, United States, Wall Street, workers
Tags: cartoon, Congress, development, geography, inequality, lobbyists, Pete Seeger, politics, Third World, unemployment, United States, war
Tags: cartoon, Congress, money, politics, rich, taxes, unemployed, United States
Tags: Bangladesh, cartoon, China, corporations, environment, food, inequality, politics, poor, right-wing, sweatshops
Tags: Bitcoin, capitalism, Catholic Church, Christmas, economy, gifts, inequality, neoconservatives, NSA, plutocracy, politics, pope, poverty, Supreme Court, Tea Party, United States
Tags: cartoon, Congress, food stamps, politics, SAC, SEC, Steven Cohen, United States, Wall Street
Tags: class, inequality, map, New York, politics
Yes, it’s pretty clear, as Thomas Edsall argues, when it came to the Democratic mayoral primary in New York City, class trumped most other identities. Bloomberg’s chosen successor, Christine Quinn, won big over all other challengers, including Bill de Blasio, in areas where household incomes surpassed $214,876.
But I was wrong: having just spent a long weekend in Manhattan, I had the distinct impression I was walking around the inner sanctum of the 1 percent. As it turns out, it’s more like the top 10 percent, as the map below shows:
$100K may be “zilch in Manhattan” but, as is clear in the map below, most New Yorkers are struggling to get by on less than that—and they voted overwhelmingly for de Blasio in the Democratic primary.
In the end, that’s the choice that will have to be faced by de Blasio: after he wins the mayoral election next Tuesday, is he going to represent the top 10 percent or the other 90 percent?