Map of the day

Posted: 30 October 2013 in Uncategorized
Tags: , , , ,

29edsal-lmaps-slide-RC9I-popup

source

Yes, it’s pretty clear, as Thomas Edsall argues, when it came to the Democratic mayoral primary in New York City, class trumped most other identities. Bloomberg’s chosen successor, Christine Quinn, won big over all other challengers, including Bill de Blasio, in areas where household incomes surpassed $214,876.

But I was wrong: having just spent a long weekend in Manhattan, I had the distinct impression I was walking around the inner sanctum of the 1 percent. As it turns out, it’s more like the top 10 percent, as the map below shows:

NY-10percent

source

$100K may be “zilch in Manhattan” but, as is clear in the map below, most New Yorkers are struggling to get by on less than that—and they voted overwhelmingly for de Blasio in the Democratic primary.

NY-90percent

source

In the end, that’s the choice that will have to be faced by de Blasio: after he wins the mayoral election next Tuesday, is he going to represent the top 10 percent or the other 90 percent?

Comments
  1. rschard1 says:

    “…is he going to represent the top 10 percent or the other 90 percent?”

    Really? What do you think?

  2. […] general New York City housing is increasingly beyond the reach of pretty much anyone outside the top 10 percent. As for the conspicuous construction associated with the world’s […]

  3. […] general New York City housing is increasingly beyond the reach of pretty much anyone outside the top 10 percent. As for the conspicuous construction associated with the world’s […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s