Sister Teresa Forcades [ht: sm], a Spanish nun,
has become one of Europe’s most influential left-wing public intellectuals. This year, thousands have joined her anti-capitalist movement, which campaigns for Catalan independence, the reversal of public spending cuts and nationalisation of banks and energy companies.
And the 10-point program of Proces Constituent, the movement Forcades founded?
• A government takeover of all banks and measures to curb financial speculation
• An end to job cuts, fairer wages and pensions, shorter working hours and payments to parents who stay at home
• Genuine “participatory democracy” and steps to curb political corruption
• Decent housing for all, and an end to all foreclosures
• A reversal of public spending cuts, and renationalisation of all public services
• An individual’s right to control their own body, including a woman’s right to decide over abortion• “Green” economic policies and the nationalisation of energy companies
• An end to xenophobia and repeal of immigration laws
• Placing public media under democratic control, including the internet
• International “solidarity”, leaving Nato, and the abolition of armed forces in a future free Catalonia